Open cooling water systems
| ||There are mainly two types of cooling water systems. The so called closed cooling water system, where always the same water is used and pumped around in a cooling loop. More common are the open cooling water systems, which will be discussed here on this page. An open water system, is open to the atmosphere, as the name tells. Either there is always fresh water one time through used for the cooling purpose. Seawater, surface water or bore well water, if there is ample supply. When using such water one should closely watch the COD and BOD to have a balanced water. Or more common, using cooling towers, where the water is circulated and resued. Fresh water has to be added, to replace the water which has either evaporated or drifted by the wind from the cooling tower.|
As the cooling water system is open all kind of risks can come with this water.
- using as source of water the sea or a river, there is always the risk of higher TDS, which might cause scaling in the system.
- using bore well water, the risk of high amount of TDS is even higher.
- using city water, the TDS is normally not so high, but if the water is too soft, there is a risk of corrosion, in the pipes and machines connected.
- all these sources of water bear the risk of microbiological contamination, which lead in first to algae growth and might over time develop to biofouling of the system.
The Pursanova TM are a clear alternative to using chemicals, or it is even possible to use Pursanova TM and chemicals in the same system to optimize the amount of chemicals needed and the performance given by these. is done by our customers.
PursanovaTMDisk is treating the following major applications in an open cooling water system:
- treating the cooling tower(s) only.
In such a case Pursanova TM are installed normally at the raisers or on the return line of the cooling water. In order to keep the cooling tower free of scaling or minimize the growth of algae.
- treating one or a few heat exchangers or machines in the cooling water loop
Customer choose their most critical heat exchangers, which have a high tendency of fouling, to be treated by Pursanova TM. Or protecting only a pump or a cooler of a compressor.
- treating the entire cooling water system.
When having a corrosion problem in the cooling loop or a microbiological problem with algae in the cooling tower and biofouling in the system, it is required to treat the entire cooling loop, in order to get control of the problem. Treating only part of the loop, leads with biofouling or corrosion problems, not to 100% results, as the biofouling has to be stopped in the entire system, in order to bring down the overall contamination.
In addition, when using Pursanova TM for the cooling water treatment, we might be able to run the system with higher TDS rates then possible otherwise. By doing like this we have proofed to our customer Pursanova TM is able the save a significant amount of water, as less blow down has to be done.
You facing a problem in your cooling loop, please don't hesitate to contact us, we are sure to find the right solution for Your problem as well.